Sunday, November 15, 2009

Thanksgiving Styling

Emily and I were recently talking about how we're not very good at "holiday decorating" in our houses. A lot of people seem to change up their decor by the season and get really into Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I think our problem is that we've perfectly planned every detail of our houses with our personal tastes, and the traditional holiday decor just doesn't fit our style. By traditional I mean ghosts, turkeys, and Santa Claus. So I decided to come up with a little something for Thanksgiving that is a little more "Emery".

I took a fake pumpkin, apple, and pear and updated them with paper and fabric. The nice thing about this little project was that Thanksgiving and fall decor is on clearance immediately following Halloween because the stores are all preparing for Christmas. I scored all three of these items for only $7!

The pumpkin was a wire form and I covered it in a jersey knit fabric. The custom part of this idea is that you can use any fabric to match your house. No more excuses for a pumpkin not fitting your style. I basically just wrapped, tucked, and pinned the fabric around the pumpkin giving it a quick makeover. Of course I added some fabric flowers too. What pumpkin is complete without them?!




With the apple and pear, I found a few fun papers (again any color or design you want) and just punched out several circles of each using a large circle punch. Starting at the bottom of each fruit, I glued the circles around and spiraled up. This gave them a unique texture that makes it a little more interesting.



These decorations can really be used anywhere. Set them on a window sill or on a desk for a cute accent.

As an extra touch on the coffee table:





On the dining table in a centerpiece:



You could make several and put them in a bowl or cornucopia if you had one. Another idea would be to paint your pumpkins either solid or with designs on them. I really love the look of white pumpkins. Hopefully this inspires those of you who are looking for something trendy in your holiday decor.




1 comment:

  1. Meg, I love these! I'm impressed. Now I want a fabric pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete